National Register of Historic Places certificate for Sunset Park.
"The Sunset Park subdivision in Wilmington, North Carolina, incorporates an area of approximately 227 acres bounded on the north by Sunset Avenue, on the east by Carolina Beach Road, on the south by Southern Boulevard, and on the west by Burnett Boulevard. Laid out in August 1912 by the Fidelity Trust & Development Company, Sunset Park building lots average 50' by 150' with setbacks of 25'.
The majority of resources date from the 1910s to the 1960s and incorporate Queen Anne, Bungalow/Craftsman, Tudor, Colonial Revival, Cape Code, Ranch, and Commercial styles of architecture. The earliest houses are scattered along Northern and Central boulevards; 1940 to 1950s Cape Cod and Ranch houses line the cross streets. Architecturally, the earliest designs are Queen Anne style, dating to the early 1910s. The two-story dwellings have hipped or gabled roofs, wraparound porches, corner towers, bay windows, projecting wings, wood or simulated siding, shingles, decorative brickwork, and a wide range of window types.
Bungalow/Craftsman style houses, dating to the same period and through the 1920s, are one- and two-stories high, with gabled roofs, exposed rafter ends and beams, triangular brackets, attached and engaged porches with wood posts on brick piers, wood or simulated siding, shingles, exterior chimneys, and a variety of window sash patterns.
Tudor style houses, one-and two-stories high, date to the 1920s to 1940s and incorporate brick or clapboard walls, asymmetrical plans, steeply-pitched roofs, arched entrances, exterior front chimneys, and sash or casement windows.
Colonial Revival style residences, one- and two-stories in height, date to the 1920s to 1940s, with gabled roofs, generally symmetrical plans, attached front, side, and sun porches, wood or simulated siding, and single or paired sash windows.
Cape Cod style houses, the most prolific of the examples, were built from teh 1930s to the 1950s, are one- and one-and-a-half-stories in height, with gabled roofs, entrance porches or stoops, gabled dormers, wood or simulated siding, shingles, and single and paired sash windows.
Despite the fact that a large amount of houses have been altered by the installation of simulated siding, characteristic stylistic details are intact and the overall historical character of the architecture has been preserved."
-Sunset Park Architectural Site Survey, 1996, page iii.
The Sunset Park neighborhood homes were erected between 1912 and the 1960's. A majority of the houses were built from 1940 to 1943 when the North Carolina Shipbuilding Company expanded its facilities on land intended for Sunset Park homes along the eastern edge of the Cape Fear River.
Below are homes in Sunset Park that have qualified for the Historic Wilmington Foundation Plaque Program. To be eligible, a home must be at least 75 years old. Homes 75-100 years old receive a brown plaque while homes older than 100 years receive a black plaque. The Plaque Program is an application process that is reviewed by a Plaque Committee. The house history can be done by the owner or contact HWF for architectural historians who can complete the research.
Wilmington Foundation homes in Sunset Park
Chadwick-Teague House- 416 Central Blvd.
Craftsman style house, one of the first two residences in Sunset Park, built for David Nicholas Chadwick (1884-1962), Secretary-Treasurer of Fidelity Trust and Development Company, Developer of Sunset Park; and wife, Ethel Hopkins (1885-1966). Purchased in 1957 by Arthur Franklin Teague (1916-2003), native of Gaston County, Master Mason, Wilmington Lodge 319, A.F. and A.M., Barber; and wife, Elizabeth Ann Cutchin (1913- ), native of Stanley County.
McNeal-Applewhite House - 2022 Washington St.
Neoclassical Revival style house built as investment property for
Joseph George McNeal (1845-1919), native of Delaware, president of
Garysburg Manufacturing Company of Burgaw, NC. Purchased in 1925 by
William Parnell Applewhite (1888-1964), merchandise broker; and wife,
Mary Eugenia Westerman (1890-1973). Remained in family for 56 years.
Dye-Honeycutt House - 2032 Jefferson St.
Craftsman style house built as rental property for the Victory Home
Company that provided housing for Carolina and Liberty Shipyard
Workers. Purchased in 1940 by Earle Edward Dye (1904-1992), Clerk for
Atlantic Coast line Railroad; and Wife, Lucille Robinson (1901-1995).
In 1960, sold to Renn Galloway Honeycutt (1926- ), Meteorologist; and
Wife, Ann Manning (1927- ).
Watts-Eason House - 2024 Jefferson St.
Bungalow built as rental property for Sarah Catherine Davis
(1870-1961). Purchased in 1934 by Benjamin C. Watts (1903-1989),
Pipefitter for Cape Fear Shipbuilding Terminal; and Wife, Annie Laura
Shipp (1905-1981). Remained in family for twenty-eight years. In 1975,
sold to Claudius A. Eason (1935- ), native of Warsaw, NC, Glazier
Mechanic for Standard Glass; and wife Jean Ezzell (1938- ).
Marshall Cottage - 317 Central Blvd.
Craftsman style bungalow built as rental property for Basil Humphrey
Marshall (1870-1951), manager of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Pass
Bureau; and wife Mary Octavia Styron (1881-1966). The house remained in
family until 1972.